Great Cars Series #2
The achievements of exceptional people have long been celebrated by fascinating biographies – and Porter Press is now doing the same for some very special cars.
This magnificent book (the second title in our Great Cars series) tells the story of the most important Porsche 917 of all – the one that gave Porsche its first victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours. In 1970 the world’s greatest sports car race was ravaged by periods of torrential rain but through it all came 917-023, driven by Hans Herrmann and Richard Attwood, to achieve a landmark success for the German manufacturer. This book provides detailed insight into not only this race but also the six others in which 917-023 took part, supported by a superb collection of period photographs, many in colour. All Porsche fans will love this addition to the ‘Great Cars’ series.
• The complete life story of Porsche 917-023, which won the Le Mans 24 Hours in 1970.
• The car’s seven races covered in detail, from the 1970 Brands Hatch 1,000Km to the 1971 Daytona 24 Hours.
• All surviving drivers of 917-023 specially interviewed for this book: Hans Herrmann, Richard Attwood, Vic Elford, Kurt Ahrens, Gérard Larrousse and Gijs van Lennep.
• The works-assisted teams – Porsche Salzburg in 1970, Martini in 1971 – outlined in detail, including interview input from mechanic Helmut ‘Käfer’ Frauenschuh.
• Nearly 300 period photographs, many previously unpublished, supported by a portfolio of specially commissioned studio photography.”